Why it’s important
Building a Shopify App is accepting that you’ll get fewer tools than other SaaSes to understand what is happening. We are not using Stripe, we use Shopify Payment system.
We don’t manage the transactions and the churning process.
It’s harder to understand why your users are uninstalling your app and how you can improve your app.
So don’t make it more difficult by tracking the data you can. I like to say that if you are not doing it, it’s like being blind. And how are you supposed to make decisions for your business if you don’t understand what is happening?
What to track
You should send an event for every action a user can do. The more events you send, the more data you’ll get to understand what is happening.
This data will then allow you to track important metrics:
- What is your activation rate (how many people are doing the onboarding)
- What is your conversion rate (how many people go from free trial to paying users, or free plan to paying users)
- What is your churn (how many paying users are uninstalling your app each month)
- How much time do people spend doing the onboarding
- % of people using each feature
- Where are users coming from and how they heard about your app
How to use the data
When you make a decision, you should use your data to help you. For example, if you want to change the onboarding on your app, you need to make sure it will actually improve the activation rate.
All the actions I take on my Shopify Apps are backed by data and are measurable. Your guts are important but you need to use your data to validate it or not
How to set up Mixpanel
I made a quick tutorial completely free to help you set up your Mixpanel dashboard in order to make decisions. You can check it in the links below.